Q: Where can I buy Darkest Hour?
A: See our Where to Buy section.
Q: Which version of HOI2 should I install DH upon? Armageddon 1.2 or 1.3 patch?
A: Darkest Hour is a standalone game that requires no previous games or installations.
Q: What is the difference between DH Full and Lite? What should I play?
A: Darkest Hour Full contains the new 1914 and 1933-45 scenarios with the new DH map, tech tree and events/decisions. Darkest Hour Lite contains the old HOI2 grand campaigns and battle scenarios with the old HOI2 map, but with most of the new DH features enabled (like the speed improvement for example).
Q: When I use the launcher, it says it “Error was found when writing tot he configuration file and the settings could not be saved. Do you want to run the game in previous settings anyway?”. What should I do?
A: You probably installed Darkest Hour in C:\Program Files or under another protected folder in Windows Vista/7 with UAC enabled. There are multiple solutions:
- reinstall in another folder (default is C:\Games\Darkest Hour)
- run the game as Administrator
- give full/write access to Darkest Hour\settings.cfg for your user
Q: When I start the game it takes forever! It just seems that all loading times are soo long! Why’s this?
A: Could be caused by AntiVirus or AntiMalware software (like Kapersky). Solution: exclude the game folder from checking by the AntiVirus/AntiMalware.
Q: What happens if I install Iron Cross over Darkest Hour?
A: You’ll be able to choose between DHFull, DHLite, Iron Cross and any other mods from the DH Launcher. If you launch Iron Cross, you’ll get the IC scenarios, map, tech tree and events.
Q: Where are my save games? I can’t find them.
A: They are located in the subfolder of the game you’re playing. So for example:
- Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/scenarios/save games/
- Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Lite/scenarios/save games/
- Darkest Hour/Mods/Iron Cross/scenarios/save games/
- Darkest Hour/Mods/Kaiserreich for DH/scenarios/save games/
It was been reported that the Impulse installer didn’t create the “save games” folders under DHFull/DHLite. If this happens, you have to create the subfolder by yourself.
Q: Is there a manual?
A: Yes, you can grab it here (you’ll have to register the game to get access). Moreover, you can also find important informations in the following documents:
- Darkest Hour\Modding documentation\Quickstart_Guide
- Darkest Hour\Modding documentation\Guide to Darkest Hour
- Darkest Hour\Modding documentation\Darkest Hour Development Diaries Archive
Q: Where can I report a bug or look for more informations?
A: Please visit our Forum at ParadoxPlaza. Remember to register your game to gain access to the Bug Reports and Tech Support subforums!